What exactly is solitude? The dictionary says solitude is the state or situation of being alone. I have to say I’m a solitary person as I appreciate the state of being alone over being among groups of people. I’m a diehard introvert. I like the company of being with one person if I have to. However, once more people are thrown into the mix I get overwhelmed and must retreat into that solitary state to replenish.
You may laugh at this strange behaviour of mine, but you need to be an introvert to understand an introvert. I’ve been called many things in life, quirky, odd, weird, different, just to name a few. And none of this name calling has made me want to be an extrovert or give up my solitude.
I also have to say, I don’t like being busy or scheduled to do things. I worked a schedule for 40 years, 9:00 to 5:00, 5 days a week, and even then I was exhausted each and every day. I’m retired now and want my days to be whatever days. Meaning, waking up and doing whatever I want. I’ve heard that most people value being busy and having their days filled with things to do, scheduled things, I imagine this gives them a sense of importance, knowing they are needed and valued. I’ve talked to people my age, and they tell me they’re so busy, never time for themselves. And while telling me this, they exude so much delight in being busy. If I have more than one scheduled thing a week I get stressed out and panic cause I’m not going to get the amount of solitude I need.
Then there are those that must keep a busy schedule not because they want to feel important or needed, but because they are truly lonely. They need social contact and a sense of belonging.
Don’t get me wrong, we all need that human connection and I do seek it out. I also try to seek out humans that aren’t overly exuberant because this type only drains and exhausts me. I’m not a small talk person, just a waste of time, I need meaningful interactions as to actually make a connection.
Solitude isn’t going on the internet and seeing how many people liked, or loved something that was posted on Instagram or facebook, or sliding down a rabbit hole and scrolling into oblivion looking at God knows what (believe me, I’ve fallen into that trap). I don’t appreciate that alone, the state of alone that is much needed today is being in the moment, like taking a walk in the forest, or the beach. Or just sitting in silence and listening to oneself.
What’s your idea of solitude?
Until next time

No comments:
Post a Comment