My Blog List

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Reflection

I think there's something about being 50+ and our continued visits to the past, possibly considered dementia but more likely our recall of pleasant memories. I remember my Dad asking me what I remembered from my childhood, I would always say nothing, but really I hold many memories close to my heart. This special time of year seems to make a special place in my heart in remembering days gone by.

You've heard of my memories of a past Christmas when I received that ever special Barbies head. But I also remember receiving a Skipper doll, and Tammy doll and a doll I called Topsie. I was proud of Topsie, she was special to me. I still have Topsie today, along with Barbies head.

Christmas time at our house was a time for my parents to reconnect with people. We always had people come to visit our home during the holidays. What I remember most about this time was the food. My parents would present such things as olives, cocktail onions, salami and best of all little gherkin pickles. I remember this display of food because it was only at Christmas time that my parents would purchase such treats. In addition to all of this, there was a big, big bowl of potato chips with dip. When the Christmas groceries arrived, my Mom would hide certain items, like the chips for example. To her disappointment I would always find those hidden chips in the basement and munch away leaving an empty bag. She would usually find the empty bag before guests arrived and would send my Dad off to the corner store for another.

Christmas eve would bring neighbours in for a cup of cheer, I loved the hustle and bustle at this time cause it only increased my excitement of Santa coming. I was told to go to bed early on Christmas eve or else Santa wouldn't come, I would retreat to my bed, only to lie wide awake because I couldn't wait for morning to arrive. Tradition that carried on from my childhood to my children was leaving the food out for Santa and his reindeer along with a note to Santa. It's funny how the memories that were important to us carry on through the generations.

I am thankful for these memories and thankful for the traditions that my parents left me that I carried on with my children. I hope that when my children have their children that they will hold dear the memories of Christmas past and carry on.

It's at this time of year that we bring forward fond memories that make the scheme of todays living a time to reflect and truly tell us what's important in life, just the simple things.

Until next time

Me

No comments:

Post a Comment