Here we are and once again its Fall. I love this time of year. The cool mornings and evenings, the changing colors of the leaves. This is the time of year for the smells of cookies baking, chilies and stews simmering, and my favorite the distinct aroma of wood burning while taking strolls in the neighbourhood.
It's hard to believe that summer has passed us by so quickly and that lives have changed as the result of a new life being born. New relationships develop, bonding occurs and the love of a child bring family and friends together. I wish that my parents were here to be a part of this. I drove by their burial site just the other day and waved hello. I then realized how much I missed them and wanted to spend a little more time with them. My parents were the glue that kept the family together. I then started to wonder what it was that my parents left me that will be with me forever. I'm not talking about material things but character building, lessons to be learned or just characteristics that I hope to have inherited. My parents were very caring and giving. They were the epitome of selflessness. My parents were forgiving and embraced all who touched their lives. My parents loved family like no others, they believed that family was golden and did not like when there was discord. I would be truly blessed if I had one inkling of them, I can only hope and pray that these few characteristics were passed down to me, to my children and their children.
It's hard to believe that the summer was spent in India, it seems like such a long time ago. I'm now retired, officially August 30, 2011, and that too brings new beginnings. A new stage in my life, re-establishing relationships, and making new. New ailments, stiff joints, soft bones, whiter hair and looser teeth. Diminished libido. More body fat. Attending more funerals. Just accepting the fact that I'm 55+ and not 30 anymore. (wish I was) Ah, yes the joys of getting older.
It's hard to believe that winter is just around the corner. Snowbirds will be heading south to that beautiful swamp land they call Florida. I'm wondering if I'll be one of the snowbirds who spend their winters in Florida, not sure, possibly, unlikely, never say never. I have to get my head wrapped around the idea that my time is my own now, I don't have to worry about work anymore. I can just hop in the car and drive any which way I want and when I want. I'm going to love the fact that when there's a big snowstorm, I don't have to venture out. I can just sit back in my livingroom with a tasty coffee and laugh at all the neighbours going to work. (poor souls) My hubby and I have been searching for a recreational property about 1 to 2 hours away. We haven't quite found the property that says 'buy me' yet. Maybe we want it all. If we can find an ideal property, I'd be satisfied in spending my winters at our recreational property. I love the four seasons, don't get me wrong, I hate the cold, but we can dress warm and enjoy outdoor sports, then head back to a warm fire and hot chocolate. I also don't want to venture away for very long when I now have a grandchild. When you get to be my age, time just passes you by like a fly in the night. I don't want to miss anything.
Well it's hard to believe I've run out of things to say, and must leave you now as my grandchild is coming over for a visit.
Until next time Me
Grannie

I love the part about getting older....oh yes....retired and over 60.....not only do I have new ailments, stiff joints, etc., but I no longer skip down the 'depends' aisle at Shoppers Drug Mart but instead slow down and hesitate. I quickly grab a box of 'poise' pads for those with 'slight' bladder leaks knowing what the next stage is.....Gawd, I love getting older :)
ReplyDelete