My Blog List

Saturday, June 15, 2013

to you Dad

Another year gone by and you are in my thoughts daily.

You were a gentle soul, quiet and reserved. You had a zest for life and enjoyed each day to its fullest. You were devoted to God and your family like no other. You loved being surrounded by your children, their children, then again their children. You had a love for animals, they gravitated to you, they must have sensed your gentle nature and that they were safe around you.

I remember sitting on your lap when I was just a wee tot feeling secure and content. I remember your bedtime stories, you didn't read from a book, you let your imagination take you and me to places that were fun and sometimes scary.

I remember summer vacations, driving from Calgary, to the east coast. Camping all along the way in those old stinky canvas tents, where you woke up soaked to the bone in the morning. I loved the smell of bacon cooking on an open fire. I remember later, taking you on summer vacations to the east coast. You have given me so many beautiful memories that will live on forever

I knew you were my safe haven all through life. I could go to you for anything and you would offer  words of wisdom and gentle support.

And now my son is a Dad and I hope that he leaves this same legacy to his son.

Happy Fathers Day Dad

Until next time Me (Grannie)

2 comments:

  1. The smell of grapefruit zest reminds me of Grampie. I remember one summer, at the cottage (with all the pictures of us doing th "how you doing" hand gesture), and there was a bowl of grapefruit, and Grampie ate one every morning...ever since the smell has always reminded me of him, :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks karine, very sweet words, and he loved his grapefruit for sure.

    ReplyDelete