It has been almost two years after I retired and since that time I was seeking to fill some idle time. I pursued Guitar lessons for Seniors, which was fun, but a bit too slow for my liking and I put my name in a retirement home to volunteer. Volunteering is not like it use to be, now you are screened very carefully and must undergo a police check. I applied to volunteer in November of 2012 and was only able to start in January 2013.
My idea of how I was going to volunteer certainly didn't pan out. I thought I would assist in activities, but my main goal was to befriend a lonely octogenarian and just spend time with them. Well, since I wrote on my application that I played piano, I now play piano once a week at 10:30 in the morning (coffee hour). I get so much joy in this and can see this particular group of octogenarians do too. I have heard them sing along to My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean and also had and continue to get requests.
One gentleman asked me if I knew how to play 'Let Me Call You Sweetheart', I told him that I didn't have the sheet music, but I would bring it next time. This particular man only lost his wife a few months ago and he was at this retirement home as a trial because he wasn't eating or sleeping. His heart was simply broken. Now, I play this song for him every week and I call it his song. Another gentleman who in his 90's, doesn't look a day over 75, is blind, told me he lost his wife last July and that he and his wife lived here for six years together. He told me with tears in his eyes how much he missed her. When I play the piano, he stands next to me, humming along. There's one sweet lady who claps after every song I play and of course I must acknowledge her with a bow of the head.
After I finish up my hour of playing, many come to me thanking me and telling me how they enjoyed it. I tell them that I'm there every Thursday at 10:30, and they say 'Oh, I have to make sure to be here too'. But, come the next time, they seem to think that it was my first time.
Now, this is not a nursing home but a retirement home. Many are free to come and go as they please, that is if they are mobile enough to do so. Many have their own cars. However, there are 9 walkers to every 10 residents.
I help every last Thursday of the month by joining some of the residents and the Activity Coordinator in a bus outing to Shoppers Drug Mart. This is a major feat, 7 to 8 seniors with mobility and sight issues. They have an hour to shop at Shoppers and they do utilize that entire hour, going up and down the aisles, walkers in tow. Some get annoyed with others because they take up the whole aisle and no one can get around them. They don't bother to say excuse me, they just stand there annoyed. There are those who can't reach the top shelves, but they try, until I walk by and ask if they need help. They try to get those huge bottles of pop down from the top shelf, just to look at the expiry date.
When I went on my first outing, I was asked by the Activity Coordinator to ensure they all had there seat belts fastened. I tried to help one lady, but she quickly pushed my hand away and was insulted that I would even try to help her. I've learned my lesson, just ask if anyone needs help.
Many of these seniors talk about their families and that they don't want to bother there daughter, or son, or daughter-in-law to take them shopping, or pick them up something at the store. Many say they wish they could still drive, many say they miss their husbands.
These people have become the forgotten ones. They may get a visit now and then, or a phone call. These people should be the revered ones, they have wonderful stories to tell and they are full of wisdom.
So, if its just an hour of piano to bring a smile, then I'm honored to do so.
Until next time
Me (Grannie)
My idea of how I was going to volunteer certainly didn't pan out. I thought I would assist in activities, but my main goal was to befriend a lonely octogenarian and just spend time with them. Well, since I wrote on my application that I played piano, I now play piano once a week at 10:30 in the morning (coffee hour). I get so much joy in this and can see this particular group of octogenarians do too. I have heard them sing along to My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean and also had and continue to get requests.
One gentleman asked me if I knew how to play 'Let Me Call You Sweetheart', I told him that I didn't have the sheet music, but I would bring it next time. This particular man only lost his wife a few months ago and he was at this retirement home as a trial because he wasn't eating or sleeping. His heart was simply broken. Now, I play this song for him every week and I call it his song. Another gentleman who in his 90's, doesn't look a day over 75, is blind, told me he lost his wife last July and that he and his wife lived here for six years together. He told me with tears in his eyes how much he missed her. When I play the piano, he stands next to me, humming along. There's one sweet lady who claps after every song I play and of course I must acknowledge her with a bow of the head.
After I finish up my hour of playing, many come to me thanking me and telling me how they enjoyed it. I tell them that I'm there every Thursday at 10:30, and they say 'Oh, I have to make sure to be here too'. But, come the next time, they seem to think that it was my first time.
Now, this is not a nursing home but a retirement home. Many are free to come and go as they please, that is if they are mobile enough to do so. Many have their own cars. However, there are 9 walkers to every 10 residents.
I help every last Thursday of the month by joining some of the residents and the Activity Coordinator in a bus outing to Shoppers Drug Mart. This is a major feat, 7 to 8 seniors with mobility and sight issues. They have an hour to shop at Shoppers and they do utilize that entire hour, going up and down the aisles, walkers in tow. Some get annoyed with others because they take up the whole aisle and no one can get around them. They don't bother to say excuse me, they just stand there annoyed. There are those who can't reach the top shelves, but they try, until I walk by and ask if they need help. They try to get those huge bottles of pop down from the top shelf, just to look at the expiry date.
When I went on my first outing, I was asked by the Activity Coordinator to ensure they all had there seat belts fastened. I tried to help one lady, but she quickly pushed my hand away and was insulted that I would even try to help her. I've learned my lesson, just ask if anyone needs help.
Many of these seniors talk about their families and that they don't want to bother there daughter, or son, or daughter-in-law to take them shopping, or pick them up something at the store. Many say they wish they could still drive, many say they miss their husbands.
These people have become the forgotten ones. They may get a visit now and then, or a phone call. These people should be the revered ones, they have wonderful stories to tell and they are full of wisdom.
So, if its just an hour of piano to bring a smile, then I'm honored to do so.
Until next time
Me (Grannie)
Oh Lorna, they are truly the forgotten ones. You are a blessing to them. I don't think you realize how important it is to bring comfort and a smile to some people who have very little to smile about. Good for you. It would be nice to gather a collection of stories from our elderly people. I'm trying to do this with the homeless at the Shepherds. Some of it is heartbreaking - some are inspiring.
ReplyDelete....donna