My Blog List

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Places I'll remember


"There are places I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life, I've loved them all"

I asked my kids one day to delve back in time and recollect any memories they had as a child. Needless to say I was surprised by some, but touched by all. Maybe when I asked them this, I was looking for their moments in time to see how they perceived their childhood, or maybe just what impacted them most as a child. I soon learned that they had a fondness for places, family and things and they loved them all.



We all have those moments in time that we can look back on, smile and say "Remember when?......" I believe those remember when's, get us through times when we are feeling down, or just want to stir up the good old days and have a little chuckle, or maybe even relive those feel good moments.

I'd like to share with you some of those childhood memories of places, family and things.

There's a place we frequented in the summer when we lived in Toronto in the 80's. It was called Crow Lake, in Marmora, Ontario. It was a place called Glen Allen campgrounds. My kids tell me they remember this place, the smell of campfires, the frog races and the tractor rides through the campgrounds. For the frog races, each competitor was responsible for locating their own frog and entering the race. When the whistle blew to start the race, each contestant hit the ground beside the frog to encourage their competitor to jump to the finish line. Sometimes, unfortunately, frogs were murdered accidentally as a child squished the frog thinking they were hitting the ground. My children never witnessed that. The winner received a chocolate bar.

Sometime later, we bought another trailer and parked it at Griffith, Ontario on the Madawaska River, called Camel Chute, beautiful scenery, a calm and serene river. This place brought memories of other children, the candy store and eating cereal they didn't usually get and jiffy pop.



Memories of their grandparents and cousins appeared vivid as if only yesterday. They remember the cucumber sandwiches and picnics at Mooneys Bay. The vegetable garden and the apple tree they climbed in Grannie and Grampies backyard. All the nooks and crannies in their grandparents basement, great for hiding and scary at the same time. Memories came forward from vacationing with their grandparents and cousins on Prince Edward Island. Family dinners and swimming with their cousins was remembered with great fondness.



Times were remembered going to a Hulk Hogan extravaganza with their dad, and a Toronto Maple Leaf Game. A family trip to Watertown, New York where the highlight was getting a muppet stuffie  from McDonald's. They remembered when their mom sang, played the piano and harmonica to them. The flannel pillows their Mom made for them was just one more sweet memory of days gone by.

Shawnas pillow
Tobans pillow

Katherines pillow

Myself, I have many delightful memories, I miss my parents dearly, but can reflect back and bring them a little closer. I remember the days when my children were small and wish time would slow down just a wee bit. I remember a doll I had that I loved and still love, I still have that doll, let me introduce to you Topsie.



There are places, people and things we will remember all of our life. Some are gone and some remain, some are dead and some are living, in my life I've loved them all.



Until next time

Me


No comments:

Post a Comment